Monday, June 25, 2012

Quickie photo shoot with Six Side Die


Today, I found an old photo I took of Bryan Crouch on my harddrive when he was still the frontman for Hail The Villain.  Bryan left the band after having a vocal haemorrhage.  After a year off, he is now heading up his newest band Six Side Die that had their debut gig at Lee's Palace in Toronto on June 8, 2012.  Needless to say, they are definitely getting a lot of positive support from fans with adrenaline inducing songs like Boom! and My Enemy.

Before their gig at Lee's, I did a quickie photo shoot with Six Side Die during an interview for FridaeTV.  We didn't have much time to get the photo so I quickly set my camera on a tripod and threw my Canon 580X II speedlight onto a stand bouncing it into an umbrella.  Triggered to fire with radio slaves,  it gave me a nice light coming from over my left shoulder.  I popped off about ten shots of the guys and then took some long exposure photos when they were not in my framing to capture the lights and background that weren't exposed in my flash shots.  In post, I Photoshopped the plain background and the band into one image.  Then I added a stock photo of a UFO, painted highlights onto the shoulders of the band so it looked like the UFO was flashing a beam from behind them and added a little mist and shadow around their feet.   I also added some stock photos of clouds to the sky to give it more of an ominous feeling.  This wasn't an easy editing job but it was fun fooling around in CS4 and the final image looks pretty cool for an unplanned shoot.  It just goes to show, you don't always need to have it all planned out ahead.  Sometimes you can grab the basics of what you need and then let creativity do the rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment